Excel crashes if Xll is deselected

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Excel crashes if Xll is deselected

Subscribe
Steve Weixel

I've created an XLL module in order to have a worksheet function, but if I deselect it in Excel's add-in options then it causes Excel to crash the next time it (Excel) runs and you go to the add-in options again.

I watched what was happening in the registry when the add-in is selecte vs deselected, I don't know if that sheds any light on it.

When it's registered and selected and everything works, the path to the dll shows up in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16\Excel\Options\OPEN"

When it's deselected, it is removed from there and added as a key in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16\Excel\Add-in Manager"

When it's in that state, running Excel and going to Options > Add-Ins will crash Excel and the only way to fix it is to remove the key from Add-in Manager.

This is with Excel 2019 and adx 9.5

Is it Office moving the entry from OPEN to Addin-Manager or the ADX code? Is something in ADX attempting to run and failing when it's in this state?
Posted 21 May, 2024 22:04:30 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Steve,

Steve Weixel writes:
When it's in that state, running Excel and going to Options > Add-Ins will crash Excel and the only way to fix it is to remove the key from Add-in Manager.

Does this occur with a newly-created XLL module with the test function uncommented?

Steve Weixel writes:
Is it Office moving the entry from OPEN to Addin-Manager or the ADX code?

That's Excel.

Regards from Poland (GMT+2),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 22 May, 2024 08:41:41 Top
Steve Weixel

Does this occur with a newly-created XLL module with the test function uncommented?

Sorry it took a while to get around to testing this, but yes it does crash if I just take the new project, register it, and then deselect it.

There is one extra thing that I did which maybe could have affected it, so you can tell me if it's relevant. Our dev computers are fairly locked down but we have admin profiles we can use to elevate tasks for more permissions. I have to run VS in admin mode in order to build and register the Excel addin. I then export the OPEN entry from the admin profile and import it into my regular user profile. When I run Excel the addin loads and functions but then crashes Excel when deselected. So here I don't know if there is some other thing that needs to happen in my regular profile to register it correctly.
Posted 25 Jun, 2024 17:37:52 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Steve,

Could you send me your test project for me to test it? You can use the contact form at https://www.add-in-express.com/support/askus.php.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 26 Jun, 2024 07:51:04 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Steve,

Thank you for the project!

To reproduce the crash, I register an Add-in Express based XLL add-in, start a 64bit Excel and open either 1) File | Options add-ins, or 2) the Excel Add-ins dialog. 32bit Excel versions aren’t affected.

This issue is filed down under #23421 in our bug-tracking DB. I expect that we are able to fix it; if so, a fix will be available with the next release of Add-in Express .NET. Unfortunately, it isn’t planned yet, and, at the moment, I don’t know when we will provide such a release.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 17 Jul, 2024 12:33:04 Top