Disappearance of Task Pane in Word

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Disappearance of Task Pane in Word

Subscribe
Leon H H

I shipped an interim build of Word Add-In with the bottom task pane to the customer. The task pane works fine, but customer had other bugs to report, and I loaded the add-in in VS2022 just to discover that the task pane does not show anymore (no code changes were done to the project since the shipment). The only thing I did that I could think about is to run Norton and let it to do cleanup of files, registry, links, etc. To confirm my suspicion, I loaded other Word Add-Ins that I developed earlier and shipped. They too are missing task forms. It means that I am in an emergency mode and need somehow to restore the functionality of Add-In Express product. The version on my dev machine is adxnet-v1001-b4703-vs-std. Is it the last version? I ran it and did Repair, but that did not help... What can I do to restore the product functionality? should I remove it completely and reinstall? What is the latest version (I just renewed my maintenance today).

I have other Outlook Add-Ins in development, and it is critical that I will retain their functionality although my last check showed that they seem to be not affected.
Posted 11 Jun, 2024 06:48:49 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Leon,

Please check whether your antivirus' logs provide some extra details.

Regards from Poland (GMT+2),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 11 Jun, 2024 22:44:46 Top
Leon H H

There is no logs available for Norton 360 Deluxe.
I uninstalled:
adxnet-v1001-b4703-vs-std
and installed:
adxnet-v1002-b4714-vs-std

However, it did not change a thing. The Word Add-in loads and I can see Tab Ribbon, but the bottom Task Pane does not show up.

I also updated the DLLs in References in VS2022:
AddinExpress.MSO.2005 v10.2.4714.0
AddinExpress.WD.2005 v10.2.4714.0

I also unregistered DLL and re-registered and was prompted to update the loader, which I did.
I also rebooted my machine.

I also checked other Word Add-Ins - they all have the same problem: the Tab Ribbon shows up fine but the task panes do not show up.

I also checked out Outlook Add-In and they all look and function OK, including their task panes. Therefore, the problem seems to be related to Word Add-Ins only and to Task Panes in them.

I have a ongoing project with the client where Word Add-in task pane is the main functionality and not it does not load (the constructor of the form is not executed and neither the _Load event handler, despite that:
adxWordTaskPanesCollectionItem1 is created in ADXWordTaskPane.Designer.cs and added to the collection.

In attempt to fix the problem, I removed the task pane item from TaskPaneManager, save all files, and then re-added.
However, it did not change a thing - the task pane is still not loading.
What can I do now? Add the creation code manually? (I suspect it will create chaos on machines that were not affected by Norton)
Posted 13 Jun, 2024 18:54:14 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Leon,

Leon H H writes:
I also checked other Word Add-Ins - they all have the same problem: the Tab Ribbon shows up fine but the task panes do not show up.

Please check the test add-in at https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/sample-com-addin-projects-outlook-excel-powerpoint-word/. This also works for me in a test project with no code at all.

In the code of the project set a breakpoint on the ADXBeforeTaskPaneShow event handler. Does the breakpoint work?

Leon H H writes:
the bottom Task Pane does not show up

Does the task pane show up if you position it to the Left? Right? Top? Can it be that you do not see the pane because it is minimized to a thin white strip with a milti-dot mini-button on it? See below the document window.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Jun, 2024 13:12:53 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Also, have a look at the resolution of the issue at https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=16666.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Jun, 2024 15:17:57 Top
Leon H H

The Add-In in this link:
https://cdn.add-in-express.com/blog-upload/samples/your-first-com-add-in-for-excel-powerpoint-and-word-v.2.0-vs2010-2019-c%23.zip

is a combo of Word, Excel, and PP add-ins. They are based on the old Loader 9.4 and when you select the project node, there is no Register/Unregister items on the Build menu.

I ran the Word from VS2019, and nothing gets loaded (maybe because I need to register it with adxregistrator.exe ?)
So I registered it:
adxregistrator.exe /install=MyAddin1.dll privileges=admin

However, nothing shows up in File > Options > Add-ins, and nothing shows up when I run it either in Word or Excel.

Does the task pane show up if you position it to the Left? Right? Top? - NO, not in all other add-ins ai developed and that were running fine before....

The link you provided is not relevant since the task pane is created in a straight forward way...
I sense that the problem is with the task pane registration...
Posted 14 Jun, 2024 17:18:24 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Leon H H writes:
The link you provided is not relevant since the task pane is created in a straight forward way...

Okay, please send me your project to the support email address.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Jun, 2024 11:27:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Sorry, I meant your test project.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Jun, 2024 11:40:32 Top
Leon H H

Email to support@addinexpress.com bounces back...
Not sure what's going on...
Posted 19 Jun, 2024 02:38:47 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Leon H H writes:
addinexpress.com

add-in-express.com. You can also use a contact form at https://www.add-in-express.com/support/askus.php.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 19 Jun, 2024 10:17:46 Top