Outlook Add-In Stopped Loading

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook Add-In Stopped Loading

Subscribe
Leon H H

Not sure what happened - I was adding component to Outlook Add-In and it was showing but the button I was adding to the ribbon was not. Then, the next run the add-in does not load at all. I can see in Options > Add-Ins > COM Add-Ins that it is disabled. The message says:
D:\Projets\AAoutlookAddin\AAOutlookAddin\bit\Debug\adxloader64.dll
Not Loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the OM Add-in.

Any attempt to enable it either in Outlook or by setting LoadBehavior to 3 did not work. When I removed all added code to original state it still does not load.

I run FUSLOGVW.EXE from .NET SDK but it shows nothing - I enabled registry entries before running FUSLOGVW.EXE as shown below:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fusion]
"EnableLog"=dword:00000001
"ForceLog"=dword:00000001
"LogFailures"=dword:00000001
"LogPath"="C:\\FusionLogs\\"

But nothing shows in it, even after Refresh button click.
Obviously, since the add-in does not even start loading, I cannot do any logging in it...

Not sure what's going on... Any suggestions?

EDIT:

I finally manage to make Fusion Log work and I see that the problem in loading resources. I have no idea where this came from because in the entire project the culture is 'neutral' and language is 'neutral' and I do not have 'en' neither 'en-US' folders when I build the project. More importantly, how do I fix it?

*** Assembly Binder Log Entry (7/12/2024 @ 8:03:21 PM) ***

The operation failed.
Bind result: hr = 0x80070002. The system cannot find the file specified.

Assembly manager loaded from: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Running under executable C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\Outlook.exe
--- A detailed error log follows.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources, Version=3.3.9.0, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=null
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///D:/Projects/AAOutlookAddIn/AAOutlookAddIn/bin/Debug/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
LOG: Dynamic Base = NULL
LOG: Cache Base = NULL
LOG: AppName = NULL
Calling assembly : CanaryyOutlookAddIn, Version=3.3.9.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
===
LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
LOG: Using application configuration file: D:\Projects\AAOutlookAddIn\AAOutlookAddIn\bin\Debug\CanaryyOutlookAddIn.dll.config
LOG: Using host configuration file:
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/Projects/AAOutlookAddIn/AAOutlookAddIn/bin/Debug/en-US/CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/Projects/AAOutlookAddIn/AAOutlookAddIn/bin/Debug/en-US/CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources/CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/Projects/AAOutlookAddIn/AAOutlookAddIn/bin/Debug/en-US/CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/Projects/AAOutlookAddIn/AAOutlookAddIn/bin/Debug/en-US/CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources/CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources.EXE.
LOG: All probing URLs attempted and failed.

*** Assembly Binder Log Entry (7/12/2024 @ 8:03:21 PM) ***

The operation failed.
Bind result: hr = 0x80070002. The system cannot find the file specified.

Assembly manager loaded from: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Running under executable C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\Outlook.exe
--- A detailed error log follows.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources, Version=3.3.9.0, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=null
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///D:/Projects/AAOutlookAddIn/AAOutlookAddIn/bin/Debug/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
LOG: Dynamic Base = NULL
LOG: Cache Base = NULL
LOG: AppName = NULL
Calling assembly : CanaryyOutlookAddIn, Version=3.3.9.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
===
LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
LOG: Using application configuration file: D:\Projects\AAOutlookAddIn\AAOutlookAddIn\bin\Debug\CanaryyOutlookAddIn.dll.config
LOG: Using host configuration file:
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/Projects/AAOutlookAddIn/AAOutlookAddIn/bin/Debug/en-US/CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/Projects/AAOutlookAddIn/AAOutlookAddIn/bin/Debug/en-US/CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources/CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/Projects/AAOutlookAddIn/AAOutlookAddIn/bin/Debug/en-US/CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/Projects/AAOutlookAddIn/AAOutlookAddIn/bin/Debug/en-US/CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources/CanaryyOutlookAddIn.resources.EXE.
LOG: All probing URLs attempted and failed.
Posted 13 Jul, 2024 02:37:39 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Leon,

It looks like your setup project doesn't get the Localized Resources output from your add-in project. If your setup project is created using Visual Studio Installer, have a look at section Add add-in project outputs; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC; the section shows how this may look like. If you use WiX, I suggest that you google for a solution.

Regards from Poland (GMT+2),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 15 Jul, 2024 12:12:46 Top
Leon H H

How is it related to Setup? I do not run any setup nor installer. I just launch add-in in VS2022 in Debug mode...
My understanding is that add-in is looking for some resource when it is loading and cannot find it, and therefore CLR starts looking for localized resources and obviously don't find any since I don't have any in the project. What's puzzling is how the compiler finds all the resources and runtime cannot... weird...
Posted 15 Jul, 2024 20:19:01 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Leon,

Can you show adxloader.log?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 16 Jul, 2024 10:14:28 Top
Leon H H

What is the default location of the adxregistrator.log? It used to be under Documents, but not anymore... I mean when you run under Debug in VS2022.
Posted 16 Jul, 2024 19:24:11 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Leon,

The default location of the log file is {user profile}\AppData\Local\Temp\<ProductName>\adxloader.log; the ProductName part reflects the ProductName field of AssemblyInfo.cs (AssemblyInfo.vb).

This was a citation from section 'Loader manifest'; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express installation folder}\Docs on your development PC.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 17 Jul, 2024 12:40:26 Top