Word crashes when saving documents

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Word crashes when saving documents
Word crashes when saving documents while and Add-in Express add-in is loaded 
Subscribe
Tobias Welte

Hi all,

We're observing a strange problem with a customer's installation of a Word add-in. Word crashes whenever a document is directly opened through the file explorer and then saved. The save doesn't go through and the application hangs. However, if Word is opened beforehand and another document is opened after, saving goes through normally. The problem immediately disappears when unloading the add-in, no restart of Word is required.

I've tried updating the add-in to the latest Add-in Express version 10.2 (Pro). The add-in in question uses the following relevant events, so I disabled those in the code for testing too, but the problem remains leading me to believe it's a problem with Add-in Express.

• DocumentBeforeSave
  • DocumentChange
  • DocumentBeforeClose

The customer works on VMs, all based on the same image (VMware Horizon). The OS is Windows 10 22H2 (64 bit) and Microsoft Office 365 version 2404 (32 bit).

I'm not sure how to debug this further. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
Posted 17 Jul, 2024 10:17:15 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tobias,

Will the issue persist if you create a new empty Word add-in project and load the test add-in with all other add-ins disabled?

Regards from Poland (GMT+2),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 17 Jul, 2024 12:43:21 Top
Tobias Welte

Hi Andrei,

Thanks, we have a solution! While creating a new project for the empty Word add-in as you suggested I was prompted to select the minimum supported Office version which got me thinking. What is the minimum supported Office version in our production add-in?

I compared the empty project to our production project and saw that no minimum version was set in the manifest (adxloader.dll.manifest) so I set it to minOfficeVersionSupported="16" and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks again and best regards!
Tobias
Posted 17 Jul, 2024 14:34:10 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tobias,

I don't think this omission might cause this effect.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 17 Jul, 2024 15:35:36 Top
Tobias Welte

Hi Andrei,

Unfortunately, you were right. The problem was not reproducible with my test user, but it still occurs to our production users. I'll try making an "empty" add-in and see if these crashes still occur.

Best Regards,
Tobias
Posted 23 Jul, 2024 12:52:02 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tobias,

Check whether this is caused by some other Word add-in (COM add-in or template) the user uses.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 24 Jul, 2024 09:18:34 Top
Tobias Welte

Hi Andrei,

I've created an "empty" add-in with only a ribbon, a ribbon group, and a button that shows a message box. Compatibility set to the latest office version, only Word Interop.

It's the same behavior. Word crashes while the add-in is loaded and the user tries to save a directly opened document. The moment, the add-in is deactivated saving works as usual.

I tried disabling all other COM add-ins, but my new empty one -> same thing, Word crashes on save, and the problem is immediately remedied once I disable the empty add-in.

What can we do here?

Best Regards,
Tobias Welte
Posted 24 Jul, 2024 12:34:05 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tobias,

I suggest that you update the Office installation. If this doesn't help, reinstall Office. If this doesn't help, make sure there's no custom Word template involved. Also, check the logs of the customer's antivirus as well as Event Viewer.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 24 Jul, 2024 18:54:48 Top